Why most homeowners cannot eradicate ants in their lawn:
- You don’t know what species of ant is present (there may be more than one).
- You don’t understand the biology of the ant species present.
- You don’t know what type of chemical/bait is needed for that species.
- You don’t know what treatment method works best or how often to treat.
Some ant species prefer sugar-based diets while others prefer protein-based diets. Some establish single nests while others build multiple nesting sites. Some trail along the ground while others trail overhead on utility lines, tree branches, or downspouts.
Most ant species have developed resistance to common insect repellants and many baits. They simply do not work. While the homeowner may think they are saving money using DIY products, they are most likely wasting their time and money.
Controlling Ants In Our Lawns
Controlling ants in our lawns and landscape is an ongoing process that requires regular assessment and treatments. Your pest professional must be able to assess the specific species of ant present and assess the underlying reason the ants are present – what habitat or food source is making your lawn attractive to them and what should be done to make your space unattractive to the ants. You should understand chemical treatment alone will not eradicate large populations of ants.
Homeowners should not be fooled by promises of one-time treatments by unscrupulous pest control companies. These treatments do nothing but kill a few (less than 1%) and scatter the ants.
Florida homeowners who want a lush, healthy lawn, have two choices:
- Learn how to diagnose and treat your lawn and landscape properly and what products to use accordingly.
- Hire a licensed pest control company that offers lawn & ornamental services.
If you choose to go the DIY route, make sure you have the time to devote to the task and understand your savings will be minimal, even without factoring in the value of your time.
360PestControl proudly provides lawn & ornamental treatments in the Jacksonville, FL and surrounding areas. For all of your pest control needs, contact us at (904) 637-1109 to request service today.